Wednesday, July 29, 2009

'The Shack'

As the title implies, I am interested in your thoughts, your feelings, ... your reaction to this book, "The Shack". I just finished reading it this evening, and my feelings are ... well, I don't want to unduly influence your own comments or thoughts.

Here are some questions to help prime the proverbial pump for discussion:
  • What do you think is Paul Young's purpose in presenting this story?
  • What were your "gut" feelings about the story?
  • What did you think about the presentation of God?
  • Did this story provoke any theological questions for you? If so, what were they?
  • Did this story provoke any theological concerns for you? If so, what?
  • How do you reconcile the "theology" of "The Shack" with the whole message of Scripture?
  • How might this story be useful in communicating the gospel in today's culture/world?
  • Do you see any limitations to this story's use in communicating the Christian faith? If so, what would they be?
  • Does this book get you thinking about your own "theology"? How so?

I certainly don't expect anyone to answer all of these questions, though you are each welcome to try. I do encourage you consider each of them before you begin answering. I'm hoping that a number of people will indeed respond, and do so respectfully and thoughtfully, to any and all responses, not least, my own.

God's blessings to you!

1 comment:

Leah said...

This book is not the Bible and should not be read as such. I do, however, think it illuminated some lacking intimacy in my own relationship with Jesus. The story brought into the light how much Jesus longs for my whole heart, as well as, the desire in me to give my whole heart

There is an issue - many people may read this book and replace Biblical truths with story book theology...never a good idea.